Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Ningtengdo Gui

My mother approached me this afternoon, leaning on the doorway while I was on the computer. I looked up and she proceeded to tell me a funny story. This is translated from Spanish, except the words that aren't Spanish, like gui. Those I keep the same.


Mother: Your cousin is getting a gui.

Me: A what?

Mother: A gui.

Me: Gui? What's that?

Mother: Ay, you know. A gui! With the controls that go pio pio and make you move around.

Me: A Wii?

Mother: Yeah, a gui.

Me: No, not a "gui", a Wii.

Mother: A gui.

Me: Wii.

Mother: Gui!

Me: Wii!

Mother: Gui!

Me: Okay, repeat after me. Woo-ie

Mother: Goo-ie.

Me: No, Wah sound. Wah. Wii.

Mother: Wah....Wah....Gwua...Gui?

Me: Yes, perfect. Gui. 

Here, have a listen. My two cousins are making fun of my mother and the word Gui. She didn't know I was recording. Shh, it's our little secret.



She almost had it at the end there. Somewhere in the middle, she says it all low and relaxed. Gui. My mama, she so funny. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Gui, something like a game console built out of guava pastries. Mmm, guava.

4 comments:

  1. Lol, your mom is such a nut.


    And if we ever hang out some day soon, I will bring these Guava pastries and we will fill our fat tummies with their love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny! Lissy you sound like an italian women speaking english.

    Luigi: Where is my Gui?

    Mario: Wat? Dont look a me like a dat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg this is exactly the same type of conversation i have with my mom but in a funny version lol

    ReplyDelete

Do you like this? Do you hate it? Tell me more either way! If you don't leave a comment, I'll just assumed you loved it anyway.